Sunday 1 September 2013

Larkspur Cove by Lisa Wingate #Romantic #Suspense





As regular readers of bookaholics will know I am not really a huge fan of romance but I do like the odd romantic suspense. I also liked the look of the blurb on this one so decided to give it a go. This more geared towards the romantic rather than the suspense end of the spectrum but that does not stop it from being a very good book.

Every so often a book will grab you and pull you in and this one very definitely falls into this category. My problem with romance books is that they can often be sickly sweet but Lisa Wingate has avoided that trap in this tale. The characters are real and remain so throughout the book. You get a tangible sense of the different types of people who live deep inside the woods and mountains of Texas and the way in which they live their lives. So much so that I could picture them perfectly. I could feel my emotions being pulled every which way as I rooted for each and every one of them. I loved the main characters Andrea, Mart and also the little girl. I cannot say too much about her without giving away the story but needless to say she is as well drawn as the others.

Lisa Wingate has an evocative writing style and paints a perfect picture of the natural beauty of the area. I could hear the call of the birds and feel the wind in my hair as I travelled across the lake by boat. This is a Christian book but the Christian message is subtle and does not overwhelm. It is skilfully weaves I to the story I. Order to support but not take over. This book could be enjoyed by Christians and non Christians alike.

This is the first book I have read by Lisa Wingate but it certainly won't be the last. I only downloaded it this morning and I have been reading it all day. It will not come as a surprise therefore that I highly recommend this book.

What awaits us on the full shelves of bookaholics. Tune in next time to find out. Until then, as always, keep reading.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Wendy. I am intrigued to read it now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Kim. I am sure you will enjoy it

      Delete