Wednesday 10 July 2013

Babe's Bible: Gorgeous Grace and Sister Acts by Karen Jones #christianfiction




Gorgeous Grace Amazon UK                            Sister Acts Amazon UK

Gorgeous Grace Amazon US                            Sister Acts Amazon US


Today on Bookaholics I am reviewing the first two books in the Babe's Bible trilogy by Karen Jones. Before anyone thinks this is a conspiracy, despite the fact we have the same surname we are not related. I don't even know her, but I now know her writing which is excellent.

The first book Gorgeous Grace introduces us to Grace who is a curate in a Church of England Parish. Grace is a real person who is down to earth and certainly not a cardboard cut out. We get to know about her and her life in a no holds barred fashion. The book is also about her best friend Chloe, married with three children, who has an affair with a married man. The implications of this are far reaching and well described. However, this is almost two books in one as Jones skilfully weaves between the modern day tale and the tales of women from the bible. The historical stories are as intriguing as their modern day equivalent. 

Book two, Babe's Bible continues the stories of all the characters introduced in the first book. This is as good as the first. Like the first book it does not hide the difficulties that Christians face but confronts them head on. This book is down to earth and some people may find it too much so. However, I feel it is both necessary for, and adds to, the compelling story. This is real Christianity with attitude. 

Both these books draw you in to the lives of the women involved. You can almost feel you are there. These are not saccharine coated Christian books but take you to the heart of the problems Christian women can face. I loved these books and can highly recommend them. My only complaint is that I now want book three and Karen hasn't finished it yet. Karen, if by any Chance you are reading this please get it out soon.

Even if you are not sure you like Christian Fiction then I would urge you to try these. I think you will be pleasanlty surprised. 

5 comments:

  1. Who's the publisher? I am interested, as my book Baby, Baby is also a relealistic look at people of faith, but 'CHristian publishers' seem to have a taste for other genres than mine - (eg fantasy, hsitorical, etc) - so I wonder who has published these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mari. It is Darton Longman & Todd. I looked it up on Amazon. I wish you every success.

      Delete
  2. apologies for the typos, very sorry didn't proof-read and am poor typist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't realised they were part of a trilogy - I've got the second one on my kindle but haven't read it yet - will have to get the first one now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah they are brilliant. I would recommend you do and rocket them to the top of your TBR list. I can't wait for number 3.

      Delete