Wednesday 26 August 2015

Writing Crossover Fiction


I have been listening to a lot of podcsts recently about both writing and marketing. A recurring theme is to understand your audience and write for them. Now to a great extent this is true, although some people may like multiple genres. When marketing your books this also holds true. 

Regular readers of this blog will know I write crime books. These are realistic and therefore deal with the seedier underbelly of Scotland. They pull no punches when it comes to description. The descriptions of the city are both real and factionalized. In other words they are as authentic as I can make them. 

Long before I heard this advice I had decided my target market was anyone who read crime books. Many people on here will know I am a Christian. Many Christian authors will only write for a Christian Market. My books are not Christian and contain no Christian themes. They have been written for the secular market. However, they have been written in a way which means they can be read by anyone. There is a fine dividing line when writing crossover crime fiction. The books need to be gritty and absorbing, whilst avoiding themes such as sex, or containing too many swear words. I feel I have managed the balance in the DI Shona McKenzie Mysteries.

 



Many people have asked me how I have managed to write a book about the police and criminals with no swear words. Especially since my books are definitely not cozy crime. I have made this issue a part of the books. Shona is totally against swearing and this is a recurring, if minor, theme. It leads to some comedic scenes and many readers have said they like this aspect of the book. It is also fun to write. 

That' sit for another week bookaholics. If you want to take a look at the books then you can do so by clicking on the links on the right. See you all back here soon. Until then, grab a good book and keep reading 




No comments:

Post a Comment