Thursday 20 September 2012

Psalms of Hope


 Link to Amazon UK Here
Link to Amazon US Here


We are currently living in difficult and troubled times. The world seems to be in turmoil and news of the ever escalating economic crises bombards us from every angle. There has never been a time when we need the hope, we can only get from god, more. The book I am reviewing today points you to this hope through 10 of the Psalms.

I was fortunate to be a Beta Reader for this book, and wanted to share it with everyone and shout it from the rooftops immediately. However, for obvious reasons , I had to contain my impatience until it was published.

This book provides an overview and in depth study of 10 of the Psalms of hope. Bob Saffron has a real understanding and love of these Psalms and it is obvious that he wants to share this throughout each page. This is not a superficial study but one which asks you to look at your emotions in light of what David was feeling when he wrote these Psalms. I now feel I know David more intimately having shared in the pain and suffering he felt whilst writing them.. However, this is not a book which foccuses on suffering but on the hope David felt in whichever circumstance he found himself. He had a sure knowledge that God was there beside him, wherever he was, or whatever he might have been doing. Despite the distance in time from when David wrote these, to my modern day existence, I could find myself identifying with many of his situations and feelings.

Each chapter of the book covers a different Psalm and at the end there are a set of questions called Life Lessons. These are an integral part of the study, and I found them to be quite insightful. They encourage you to ask searching questions, the answers to which will demonstrate your relationship with God and the application of the Psalm to your life today.

This is not a book to read and forget. It can  be used for either group or individual study. I found that the best way to use the book was to read the Psalm a couple of times, read the commentary and pray before and whilst thinking about and answering the questions. This gave me, not only a deeper understanding of the Psalm, but of myself, and the hope that I have in God, and the way he answers me and gives me hope in even the simple things.

I would highly recommend this book, I have been blessed by reading it, and am so pleased I am now able to share it with you. Read it, enjoy it and learn more about God and yourself through it.

Although this book is currently only available on kindle it will be released in paperback in the near future.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks Wendy. I appreciate your comments. May God be glorified!

    Bob Saffrin

    ReplyDelete