Saturday 1 September 2012

Lets Go Deeper

A bit of an enigmatic title today, but this book, and my title, have got me thinking. In so many situations in life we are superficial and don't really go deeper than the surface. This can be particularly true when it comes to bible study. Although I read the bible I came to the realisation that I needed to go deeper and to really study the bible and how it applies to my life. The book I am reviewing has really helped me to do that, and I wanted to share with you today why this is the case. I have been using this book to support my bible study for some time, but am blogging about it now because I now feel better placed to give a proper overview of the book. This is not a "read it and put it aside" book. But one which you will use regularly to develop your study of the bible.


How to Study the Bible for Yourself

How to Study the Bible for Yourself

Firstly, I need to explain that I have read several of Tim LaHaye's books and I really like his writing. However, you do not need to be a Tim LaHaye fan to enjoy and make use of this book. Can I hear a collective sigh of relief from all those who either, have never heard of him or are not a great fan of some of his other work.

The purpose of this book is to help you really understand the bible through a systematic and thorough study by yourself. It is not a commentary, and will not give expanations or expositions of any of the books or the text. So what does it do then, I can hear you ask.


What it does is help you to approach your bible study in a systematic way, exploring the themes and principles and key teachings and verses. It will help you to develop strong habits in bible study, allowing you to discuss the bible with others and apply it to your life. Ok, I have to admit some of that came from the blurb on the back, but it portrays the essence of this book perfectly. But more than this it explains how to read the bible and gives different methods for doing this. It takes you in detail through these, such as studying the bible by books, subject analysis or chapters. It sets out a bible reading plan which helps you read the whole bible from cover to cover. This is not the start in Genesis finish in Revelation style of study but uses a different approach, starting with 1 John. LaHaye is very clear about why you are starting with this book and what it will do to help you in your spiritual life.

This is an excellent book which has inspired me and really encouraged me to take my study of the bible more seriously. However, this is not a book for the faint hearted. In the first week you are encouraged to read 1 John seven times, and keep a spiritual diary. It takes between 30-60 minutes a day depending on what approach you take. You are also encouraged to keep a spiritual diary, and to memorise bible verses each day. However, I have not found this to be difficult to do. For example when memorising verses, LaHaye suggests you write them on a small card which you carry around with you. You then memorise them when you have a few moments throguhout the day. I have put them on my phone in a free word processing app so always have them with me. If you are anything like me you will never be far from your phone.

I think I need to finish there before my blog is as long as the book. This is an excellent book which I would advise anyone to buy if they are serious about their study of the bible. This is a paperback and not available on kindle. However, it is not that big and you can take it anywhere. It was one of the few paperbacks I took on my recent trip to Cambodia, and given todays weight limits that should give you some indication of how I rate the book. My hope is that you will enjoy this book. My prayer is that you will find yourself going deeper with God through your study of the bible.

Till next time, keep reading.

3 comments:

  1. My daughter's listening to the Print & Audio edition on iPad and enjoying it. Nicely done as it highlights each word as read and has a first-class lineup for narrators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Robert. Which app is she using or which audio book. Would be really interested to know.

    ReplyDelete