Thursday 9 August 2012

A thin Film of Lies

I have recently read a book which. I enjoyed so much it is getting a blog post all to itself. The author C. S. Lakin asked me to read and review her book, A Thin Film of Lies and I am so glad she did. This book is essentially a psychological thriller with a strong Christian Theme running throughout.

Initially there are 2 seemingly disparate stories, both of which were interesting in themselves. The first was that of a young woman who is killed in a hit and run and what initially seems like an accident turns into a murder investigation. The second is that of a young married couple Alisha and Mike whose marriage is displaying an undercurrent of trouble. It is difficult to see how these stories link but when the answer comes it hits you between the eyes. The tension builds up throughout the book and one character who initially appears to be pleasant and helpful soon turns out to be completely unhinged. This character and her storyline is brilliantly written and Lakin's writing has you right inside her mind. All the main characters are drawn well and I could picture them perfectly.

With regards to building tension this book is spot on. The tension mounts ever higher throughout the book and I found myself literally breathless at times. On the one hand I couldn't wait to find out what happened and on the other I didn't want the book to end. Lakin is a writer who uses words well to completely draw you in and immerse you in the story.

The main detective in the story Fran Anders is a Christian and as I say the Christian Theme comes through strongly throughout the book. However, this is interlinked with the storyline in such a way that it comes across as completely natural and is not in any way overwhelming. She is a character with her own flaws and weaknesses and this makes her all the more real. This can be something which is often missing in Christian Fiction.

I would highly recommend this book and also C. S. Lakin as a writer. It is brilliantly written and definitely worth every penny you pay for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment