Wednesday 16 July 2014

Book Launch - The Death Game by Chris Longmuir



I have posted about local Dundee Author Chris Longmuir previously on my blogs. If you would like to know more about Chris and her work then you can read Crime Fiction and the Indie ContributionBook Launch - Missing Believed DeadInterview with Chris Longmuir

I recently had the privilege of attending Chris's book launch at Montrose Library. This was so much more than a book launch as Chris talked about her research for The Death Game. This is a historical mystery set in Dundee. It is fiction based on the first policewoman in Dundee. Chris had researched the era and the life of Mrs Jean Forsyth Thomson in detail and it was fascinating to hear her talk about the Dundee of the time.

I hadn't realised that the first policewomen were recruited from the suffragettes. Many of these women had been in prison at some point for their beliefs. This meant they knew about conditions for women from both sides of the fence. 

One fact that resonated for me was that many of the places and conditions which Chris described were still in place in the 60's when I was born. Dundee hadn't change very much from 1919. 

If you want to find out more, here is my previous review of The Death Game. This is an excellent book and well worth reading. The link to buy from Amazon UK and US are below. 

         

The talk was admirably supported by tea, coffee and Liz Strachan's world famous tablet. Well it's famous in my world anyway. This home made tablet is the best I have ever tasted, and trust me I am a connoisseur of tablet.

So all in all a great day which I really enjoyed. Chris is a highly talented author and her books are well worth reading. Enjoy the book and I will see you back here soon on Bookaholic. Keep reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment