Saturday 29 August 2020

The Killings at Kingfisher Hill review


 
When an author writes books in a series by someone as iconic as Agatha Christie, about a detective as iconic as Hercule Poirot, you know they are going to have to bring their A Game. Thankfully Sophie Hannah has done so. It is obvious she is intimate with Christie’s books and deeply familiar with Poirot’s  character. She has got him spot on. Of course, like the original books, character is right at the heart of this story, and the way these characters interact is a major part of the storyline. I could picture each of them clearly. They are beautifully drawn, especially Daisy whose mood swings and emotions were almost palpable. It is essentially a closed room mystery, with some of the action taking place in a coach before moving to a a house in a gated community. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The mystery was strong, as was the setting. I felt myself transported in both space and time and could feel the claustrophobia, not only if the house, but the community.  An excellent book which I wholeheartedly recommend. 

Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for an ARC of this book. At no point was I asked to write a positive review. My review is based on my enjoyment of the book. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment