Tuesday 28 April 2020

City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert



Good afternoon, Bookaholics. As you know I usually read crime but I am stepping out of my comfort zone reading wise and I would encourage you to do the same. Lockdown is a time for trying new things when many of us have the time to do it.

This isn’t the usual type of book I read but I was looking for something completely different. I was a little unsure whether this would be the book for me but I don’t mind telling you, I was completely seduced. Elizabeth Gilbert is a brilliant writer. This is evident in every single word which she uses to good effect to draw me to a crescendo of emotions one minute followed by a diminuendo the next. It is some time since I have been so emotionally involved in a book. The story is told by an elderly lady, Vivian, to the unknown (to the reader), Angela. It is, at its most simple, the story of Vivian’s fascinating life. It is so much deeper than this, however. It is a microcosm of New York from the 1940’s onwards and the story of a group of people who live, work and love there. It is the story of a crumbling theatre and the people who work there. It is the story of awakening sensuality and sexuality, and yet is done with such sensitivity that the reader is drawn in. It is all of that and so much more I loved this book. I genuinely could not stop reading and desperately wanted to know what happened and who Angela was. A brilliantly executed story of the lives of a group of artistic temperaments who gel and are drawn toward each other. The characterisation is the best I have read and I read a lot. I would highly recommend this book to all women whether you read this genre or not. Elizabeth Gilbert is my new favourite author and I cannot wait to read more by her.





So as you can see, Bookaholics a fabulous book. I’m off to try another, so I’ll be back soon. If you haven’t read this one, seriously, buy it. You won’t regret it.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for an ARC of this book. At no point was I asked to write a positive review and my review is based on my reading, and enjoyment, of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment