Monday 2 August 2021

Book Review: The Shetland Sea Murders by Marsali Taylor

 


And yet another Murder Mystery which will blow you away my Bookaholic friends. When I was offered the chance to review Marsali Taylor's latest sea based novel, I jumped at the chance. Having preciously read some of this series I knew I was in for a good read. In the latest book, Taylor has not let me down, as The Shetland Sea Murders is as good if not better than the last books. 

Blurb

While onboard her last chartered sailing trip of the season, Cass Lynch is awoken in the middle of the night by a Mayday call to the Shetland coastguard. A fishing vessel has become trapped on the rocks off the coast of one of the islands.

In the days that follow, there's both a shocking murder and a baffling death. On the surface there's no link, but when Cass becomes involved it is soon clear that her life is also in danger.

Convinced that someone sinister is at work in these Shetland waters, Cass is determined to find and stop them. But uncovering the truth could prove to be deadly . . .

Review

The first thing I love about this book is that Taylor does no pull any punches, she's bang straight into the action. A mayday call has Cass Lynch straight into the heart of the action. As always, Cass is a fabulous heroine and we get to find out more about her and Gavin in this book. The characterisation is sound with characters that leap off the page and engage the reader. 

Setting is a large part of this story, that setting being the sea. Taylor has a deep knowledge and love for the seas and this is evident in every skilfully written word. I could smell the sea, feel the swell of the boat, picture the fish landing on the fishing trawler, and feel the wind on my face. Descriptions are handled well and add to, rather than detract from the story. Talking of story, this is skilfully handled and Taylor keeps up the pace throughout. At times I found myself holding my breath. The highs and lows kept me reading and wanting to know how the story would be resolved. Whilst this is not an edge of your seat thriller, there is certainly enough action and suspense for the strongest crime aficionado.

I would say this is another Triumph from Marsali Taylor and I would highly recommend it for all fans of crime fiction. 


Find out more


Amazon


I was given a copy fo this book from the publisher in return for an honest review. At no point was I asked to provide a positive review and my review is based on my reading and enjoyment of the book. 

That's it for now Bookhaolics. You'll love this one, I promise. See you soon and until then keep reading and keep writing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment