Sunday 13 October 2019

Reading and Writing Intertwined


“Readers make writers and writers make readers”
Carl McKever

Good afternoon my fellow Bookaholics. I've been thinking a lot about reading lately and also trying to broaden the scope of my reading material. As you know, I am a writer as well as a reader. However, writing and reading are not mutually exclusive. As the quote above so beautifully says, in order to be a writer you need to be a reader first. As a crime writer, I read a lot of crime books and I mean 'a lot' of crime books. This is my preferred go to reading material but I am making a conscious choice to expand this. Here are my choices.




At the moment I am reading the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I am on the second book, The Angel's Game, which is beautifully written and the sheer beauty of the language pulls the reader into the story and make him, or her, marvel at the way the sentences are constructed. I loved the first book but believe this second one is even better. I can highly recommend them and I am looking forward to reading the next two in the series, which are already in my TBR pile. 



I started A Nearly Infallible History of Christianity by Nick Page, previously but due to a prolonged trip abroad, left it behind. It is a rather large tome and I was conscious of weight limits on planes. Don't let the title or the size of the book put you off. This is one of the funniest books I have read. How can you resist a book with the subtitle - Being a history of 2000 years of Saints, sinners, idiots and divinely-inspired troublemakers. Nick, a Christian himself, gets to the root of things and makes the discussion easily accessible to the average man, or woman, in the street. Christians and non-Christians alike would enjoy this book. It's a perfect example of how to write about a subject in an enjoyable way.




I am also expanding my reading of writing books. One of the best I have read is, Save the Cat Writes a Novel. It gets to the very heart of what a writer should know about story structure, again in an accessible way. It essentially demystifies novel plotting. I strongly believe no writer should be without this book on their bookshelf. It should be well thumbed with tabs highlighting the relevant areas. Needless to say, the image is not of my copy. 






Whilst I haven't read this one yet, I am very much looking forward to reading it, especially with Halloween around the corner. Rosemary Gemmed is an outstanding writer and I am sure this will be an atmospheric read. 

When Cate Stewart's life falls apart, a job cataloguing the vast library at Highcrag on the Scottish east coast sounds perfect. Especially since she has a personal interest in researching the notorious Scottish witch hunts of the sixteenth and seventeenth century. But the house has a dark past that seems to affect the present. And an owner, Lyall Kinnaird, who unexpectedly stirs Cate's damaged heart. As the Celtic festival of Samhain approaches, when the veil between the living and dead is thinnest, who can Cate trust?


I love these books and was excited to discuss them with you. Now it's over to you. I want to widen my reading choices, so let me know what you would recommend in the comments. 

Have a great week and whatever else you do, remember to keep on reading and, of course, writing. 


2 comments:

  1. I fully agree with the value of reading widely. I have fairly eclectic tastes anyway, but my preferred genre's are crime, SF / fantasy and history or historical fiction. But I like to throw a few different things in the mix now and then. For example, I recently read 'The Boat Girls' which is superficially a romance - though actually much more about the history of narrowboats and canals.

    As well as reading widely, I think it's good to read critically. I try and review everything I read, and to analyse why a story does or doesn't work for me.

    For example, I read the first in the 'Cemetery of Forgotten Books' series last month (The Shadow of the Wind). As you say, Zafon writes beautifully, but I found the pace a bit leaden and it didn't really capture my attention.

    I'm just trying to decide what to start on next. I've got the latest Margaret Atwood novel (The Testaments), or there are a few SF options (including the entire first six volumes of the Dune saga, downloaded to my Kindle for just a few quid!). Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things of The Dune Saga but SF doesn't do it for me. I just can't get into it as a genre. I am thinking of reading The Testament myself. You know you are getting a good read with a Margaret Atwood.

      Delete